Wednesday 20 June 2012

CMTJ Collaboration Postcards

 
Via The Other Room and Andrew Bailey (who has a new Enitharmon book out, which I will be grilling him about some time in the future - I can't be more specific than that, I am not to be trusted with time commitments), I found...

this.

I don't quite know what it is. Chris McCabe and Tom Jenks, collaborating for the third time (if so, where are the other collaborations?) on a series of references to classic British seaside resorts, mostly modernist British (or Anglo-American) poets and poetry, and characters from popular B&W television, or slightly more contemporary gameshows, including Family Fortunes, Frankie Howard and the Carry On team.

I think my favourite is Kenneth Williams playing William Carlos Williams (#10 TJ) but the first one, pictured above, is suitably silly also.

If anyone can work out what that bloody sausage/wiener is doing in there, I'd be grateful to have it explained. I wouldn't put it past them, based on what I do get, to have inserted it as an incredibly crude phallic symbol, but, well, but... I was hoping for something more intelligent I might have missed?

GT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aw, thanks for the link!

Perhaps John Wieners, or just something at the seaside. Perhaps also mucky larks. But that is the sort of fibreglass figure you see outside pier food kiosks. I remember a very creepy fisherman in a sou'wester outside a chip shop growing up from the same genre.